The Estádio Nacional (English: National Stadium), also known as Estádio do Jamor, is a stadium that used to be the Portuguese national football ground. It is located in the Jamor sports complex, in Oeiras, near Lisbon. It was designed by Francisco Caldeira Cabral with Konrad Weisner and Jacobetty Rosa and the building works started in 1939, with its inauguration happening on 10 June 1944 (Portugal Day) by the Council president António Oliveira Salazar. Architecturally the stadium is noteworthy for its open east side,unusual for a stadium otherwise featuring a typical oval configuration. Its current capacity is 39,000 and it is the venue for the Portuguese football cup final.
The stadium traditionally hosts the final of the Portuguese Cup since 1946; only 5 times was this game played on other venues. In total, 52 Cup finals have been played on this ground. Many Portuguese football fans believe time has taken its toll on the historic stadium, given the fact other, more modern and comfortable stadiums have been built (namely after Euro 2004) and that the final should be moved to a newer ground despite the tradition; nevertheless, the Portuguese FA has many times dismissed this possibility. The most prestigious international game ever staged at the Estádio Nacional was the 1967 European Cup final, played between Celtic and Internazionale with the former winning by 2-1 and becoming the first British European champion team, nicknamed the Lisbon Lions.
In September 2012, the Portuguese Football Federation announced that the stadium would undergo renovation in which work would begin in 2014.Close