Stanley Clare Pearson (11 January 1919 – 20 February 1997) was an English football player. He was born in Salford, Lancashire.

Pearson was signed by Manchester United as an amateur in December 1935 and turned professional in May 1937. His first senior game came against Chesterfield in 1937. When his career was interrupted by the Second World War, he served with the 2nd/4th Lancashires. He helped United win the 1948 FA Cup (scoring in the final) and 1952 league championship. He retired in 1953 with 148 career goals (good for 9th in team history) in 343 appearances, with just two goals behind Ruud van Nistelrooy. During his time at Manchester United, he scored five hat-tricks; four in the league and one in the FA Cup. His first came in the 5–0 victory over Liverpool in 1946, and in the 1948 FA Cup semi-final he scored all the goals when United won 3–1 against Derby County at Hillsborough in Sheffield. His hat-trick against Liverpool in September 1946 occurred at Maine Road (due to bomb damage to Old Trafford), and would be the last hat-trick by a Manchester United player against the Anfield club until September 2010, when Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov scored all three of United's goals in a 3-2 league win at Old Trafford.

Pearson went on to average more than one goal every two games in three years at Bury before his playing career ended with two years at Chester from 1957 to 1959. At 40 years, 101 days, Pearson remains the oldest player to make a Football League appearance for the club when he played his final match against Crewe Alexandra on 22 April 1959.

Upon his retirement, Pearson was a popular appointment as Chester manager after John Harris moved to Sheffield United. Despite making signings such as his former Manchester United colleague Frank Clempson, Chester struggled during Pearson's reign in charge. After finishing 20th and 24th in successive Division Four seasons, Pearson left the club following a 1–0 home defeat to non-league Morecambe in November 1961 in the FA Cup.

After retiring from football Pearson became sub-postmaster of Prestbury Post Office in Cheshire. He died at Alderley Edge, Cheshire, in February 1997. He was 78 years old.



Talking Points

Latest News




Good Read


{{::item.item.time_to_read}} min read
Load More Stories

Want your site featured on footyfeed?

At footyfeed we are always on the look out for great new content for our users.

If you run a football blog, news site or video channel and want to be featured in your teams live feed then drop us an email on the address below and send us the web address to your site.

Email us at


1. We understand that we will only win if our publisher partners win. Our aim is to get you as much quality traffic as we can.

2. We will not have pages of guidelines and rules - we will only take quality publishers onto our platform in the first place. We will, however, have one general guideline - the reader / user is king, and everything else will stem from there.

3. We will talk to our publishers, listen to their suggestions for improvements, and be receptive to any ideas that may be beneficial to our mutual businesses.

Email us at

Embed this on your website

Paste the code snippet below into your website where you would like this story to appear.


Customise footyfeed by changing the settings below

Hide images on articles
Hide descriptions on articles